Pediatric General Surgery
To contact Cottage Children's Medical Center, and the Grotenhuis Pediatric Clinics, please call 805-879-4240, or ask your primary care provider for a referral.
If surgery is the best treatment option for your baby, child or teenager, you don’t have to travel far for top-quality care. Trust your child’s care to the specially trained medical professionals at Cottage Children's Medical Center.
Experienced Pediatric Specialists
At Cottage Children's Medical Center, you’ll find experienced, board-certified pediatric surgeons skilled in the most advanced, least invasive general surgeries and thoracic (chest) procedures. We’ll help your family prepare for the operation and get excellent follow-up care, so your child achieves the best possible outcome.
Minimally Invasive Pediatric Surgery
Whenever possible, your child’s surgeon will perform the procedure using a minimally invasive laparoscopic or endoscopic technique that:
- Involves only tiny incisions
- Lets your child return home within 24 hours of surgery
- Minimizes pain, blood loss and scarring
Extensive Surgical Services
Choose Cottage Children's Medical Center for many minimally invasive surgeries, including:
- Appendectomy (appendix removal)
- Adrenalectomy (adrenal gland removal)
- Bowel resection
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Hernia repair
- Fundoplication (acid reflux treatment)
- Gastrostomy (feeding tube insertion)
- Liver biopsy
- Lung biopsy and resection
- Nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- Pulmonary sequestration (lung growth) removal
- Splenectomy (spleen removal)
Getting Ready for Surgery
After scheduling surgery, make an appointment at Cottage Children's Medical Center with a child life specialist, who will help your child prepare emotionally for the procedure and recovery period. During the conversation, you and your child may:
- Ask questions
- Discover what to expect in the operating room
- See and learn about basic medical tools
- Tour the hospital and see the area where he or she will stay
To meet with a child life specialist, call 805-637-5307.
On the day of surgery, you’ll remain with your child in the preoperative area and in the post-anesthesia care unit to reassure him or her. Your child may bring a favorite toy for extra comfort.