Social Work Services
Social workers are available for Cottage Children's Medical Center patients and their families, offering counseling, support and referral assistance. For more information please call 805-324-9137.
Social workers provide patients and their families psychosocial support in the transition between life in the hospital and life at home. Social workers are active on each of our pediatric units including Pediatrics, Pediatric Intensive Care, Neonatal Intensive Care and the Newborn Nursery.
Outpatient social workers focus on specialized care for children with chronic illness, and provide ongoing support to patients and their families.
Social workers work collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to develop care plans that meet your child's medical, developmental and emotional needs.
Services that we provide depend on the individual needs of each patient and family, but may include:
- Crisis intervention and psychosocial support surrounding trauma, catastrophic or chronic illness
- Counseling to help patients and families cope with new diagnosis, illness, hospitalization and ongoing stressors
- Psychoeducation regarding the patient's illness and care plan
- Advocacy to promote patient- and family-centered care while respecting language and cultural differences
- Facilitation of family conferences with your child's team to ensure collaborative communication and comprehensive treatment plans
- Referrals to community agencies
- Counseling and bereavement support
- Support with behavioral, developmental, or educational concerns
- Assessment of mental health or family issues including depression, anxiety, substance abuse and violence